Safeguarding Children

What to do if you are worried a child is being abused

Abuse may take the form of physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse or neglect.

Possible signs and indications of child abuse and neglect

Any member of staff who believes or suspects that a child may be suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm should always refer their concerns to Children’s Social Care.  (There should always be an opportunity to discuss concerns with a manager, named professional or qualified social work, but never delay emergency action to protect a child).

Are you concerned a child is suffering or likely to suffer harm?  For example:

  • You may observe an injury or signs of neglect
  • You are given information or observe emotional abuse

Key Contacts:

Children’s Social Care:

MASSH (Mon to Thurs, 8.45am – 5pm, Fri, 8.45am – 4.30pm) – 0161 217 6028

Out of Hours -(Mon – Thurs, 4.30pm – 8.30am, Fri 4pm – 8.30am Monday) 0161 718 2118

Police Public Protection Investigation Unit:

Phone 101 and request to speak to the PPIU for the area in which the child resides.  In an emergency contact the police on 999.

Local NHS Advice:

Designated Nurse Safeguarding Children, 0161 426 9905

Named GP Safeguarding, 0161 426 9905

Designated Doctor Safeguarding Children, 0161 419 2030 (or contact 0161 483 1010 and ask to be put through to the Designated Doctor Safeguarding Children)

Child Sexual Exploitation

Child Sexual Exploitation – Advice for Health and Social Care Professionals

Tackling Child Sexual Exploitation

Information Sharing Advice

Information Sharing Advice for Practitioners

Other useful information/leaflets:

Help is at Hand – Support after someone may have died by suicide

Parenting Plan Leaflet

Safeguarding Children and Young People – Toolkit for General Practice

Promoting the Health and Wellbeing of Looked After Children